First off, isn't this the technique Arctirex (sp?) DOES use in their
Web-facing-like product?  (They just duplicated some functionality in
another library, iirc.  I don't recall if they modify the SEPT, but concept
is basically the same, afaik from reading these lists.)  Has IBM hurt their
product or sued them??  I dunno.

I would add something you told me on the phone, Leif, that they will
tolerate SOME loss outta pocket, but how much is another question, entirely.

| A related problem is this: If IBM would object to replacement of one
| program, how about to replacement of ALL programs? I mean, I buy
| an AS/400. Then I completely remove OS/400, replacing it with my
| own operating system. Is that infringement?

I think that's what IBM is planning, from what I gather on M-L list, with
Linux.  I think it'd be hard for them to make a case against someone else
doing same as they are.

| If I buy a PC with Windoze preinstalled, then rip out Windoze replacing
| it by Linux, can Big Bill sue me for infringements on his rights?

People do this, and I've never heard of a lawsuit but again, dunno.

| This discussion might not belong on the MI list, but I will let it pass
| because we are, after all, concerned with low-level details.

Thx.  It's interesting (to me and a few others, I'd imagine...;-).