Bobby,

>Can anyone help me.  I want to retrieve deleted records from a physical
>file and write them toa user specified file.  I have no idea of where to
>start so any help would be greatly appreciated.

While waiting for Leif's chapter, here are three places to start:

  - TAA Tools has a command to retreive deleted records.  It does it by saving
the PF to a SAVF (uncompressed) and examining the SAVF contents.  Each deleted
record has an attribute bit set which it identifies and then extracts the
associated record data.  For a large PF, this requires a large SAVF...

 - Dave McKenzie wrote an excellent freeware utility, UNDEL, which undeletes a
record directly without the need to use a SAVF intermediate.  He has both CISC
and RISC versions of the compiled code available, and released the source too.
Last I knew, it was in the freeware / shareware section at www.as400network.com

 - The above utility (UNDEL) is used under the covers in another excellent
freeware tool, WRKDBF.   See www.wrkdbf.com for more information.

UNDEL does not write them to a user specified file though.  It reactivates them
within the original PF itself.  UNDEL operates on a single record at a time.  In
WRKDBF, there is a command to undelete all deleted records in a PF.

Doug