Dear Sas:

>>>---> NOTE: Let this be a "lesson" for all ... <---<<<

You should have insisted on a Source Code Escrow Agreement,
so that, in the event the vendor goes "out of business" or bankrupt,
insolvent, etc., you would be given access to the source code.

This should be a standard part of any decent software license
agreement, and you should always insist on it, especially when
purchasing (or licensing) software for which you do not get the
source code with the package.

This unfortunate situation that you now find yourself in is precisely
why "source code escrow" agreements or clauses in contracts and
software license agreements exist, and why there is a fairly brisk
business for software escrow agents, who maintain these copies
of the source code for their clients.

Sincerely,

Mark S. Waterbury