From: jt <jt@ee.net>
> It is NOT nonsense, and NOT sticking Your head in the sand to maintain
> "security by obscurity".
>
> NOT saying this is the BEST security...  But "security by obscurity" beats
> the hail outta ...
>
> ===> NO-SECURITY-WHATSOEVER-by-widely-publishing-security-holes.
>
> (We're talking iSeries Division, not MicroShaft here, right?)

I'll close this discussion with these words from Bruce Schneier (Preface to
Applied Cryptography):

"If I take a letter, lock it in a safe, hide the safe somewhere in New York,
then tell you to read the letter, that's not security. That's obscurity. On
the other hand, if I take a letter and lock it in a safe, and then give you
the safe along with the design specifications of the safe and a hundred
identical safes with their combinations so that you and the world's best
safecrackers can study the locking mechanism - and you still can't open the
safe and read the letter - that's security."