To: mi400@midrange.com
From: jamesl@hb.quik.com
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:35:37 EDT
Subject: Re: [MI400] Crtmicmp

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:40:12 -0500 "Leif Svalgaard" wrote:
> is that CA (or
FTP) takes the original |, translates that to !
> then when showing the
result takes ! and translates it back
> into a |.

Hmm. I think part of the
problem is that in EBCDIC, there are separate vertical
bar and divided
vertical bar characters, while in ASCII there aren't.

The emulator in our
ThinView product (if you'll excuse the plug) differentiates
between the two;
I know, I had to write the code for the special case that
renders the
divided-vertical-bar character (along with code to render a few
other
5250-isms, like the overscored asterisk "dup" character).

Personally, I've
never used CRTMICMP. For a brief time, we had the PL/I
compiler up and
running from a beta OS/400, and so I just took the PL/I
front-end for the MI
compiler straight out of the V2R3 API manual, added
extensions to make give
it a user interface more like that of the IBM
compilers, and have been using
it ever since. Before that, we used a "hack" MI
compiler whose origins and
pedigree I know nothing about (unless maybe it was
somehow connected with
the System C PRPQ?).

By the way, are there any AS/400 IPDS or AFP printing
gurus out there?
Preferably who don't hate my
guts?

--