On Wednesday 02 January 2002 20:33, srichter wrote:

> What is the difference between a data space index and a user index ?

Both have a machine index at their core (the internal object that contains
the binary tree).  DSI's are internal objects (they don't appear in DSPOBJD
or DSPLIB) and are connected to one or more Data Spaces (the objects that
contain records in physical files) and (may) have:
  Tables for the DS fields the index is over
  Tables for mapping DS fields to different data types
  Table for alternate collating sequence
  Select/omit code
  Space for saving key changes for delayed maintenance
  Facilities for journalling
  etc.
User indexes are external objects containing not much besides the bare index.

> Any insights into why the QDLS file system performs slower than the other
> file system ?

I don't know.

> Is a stream file a distinct object type also ?

Streamfiles are internal objects of type x1E with several subtypes, e.g.
  1E01  STMF
  1E02  SYMLINK
  1E03  SOCKET
  1E04  M36