  • Subject: alchss. a happy ending.
  • From: "Steve Richter" <srichter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 13:34:50 -0400

A few days ago I posted a msg saying I had a 8+ hr bug in code that used alchss and asked if anyone knew of problems with that opcode.

Well let me just post back that the problem was with my code entirely ( allocated some space, set ptrs in the space to other locations in the same space, allocated a 2nd space, copied the 1st space to the 2nd, freed the 1st space, used the ptrs in the 2nd space ( which pointed back to the freed space ) and every now and then ...  boom. )

So any doubt, which I did not intend, that was cast on alchss should be removed.

In fact, alchss looks to be an outstanding op code. both in performance and functionality. Makes the implementation of a free store a very easy task.  A great example of a well done os primitive.

-Steve Richter