>Have a question about getting these PTF's...
>
>I DON'T show that I have them (we are V4R1) and we have Service Director.
>understand you saying that these are hyper PTF's so is THAT why Service
>Director's PTF program didn't send them to us ? And WOULDN'T that be a
good
>idea to have it do that ?

Chuck,

It took several telephone calls for me to find this. Service Directory has
a new name, it is now called Service Agent.  It works by matching symptoms
strings on a customers machine with the symptom strings of knows problems
and then downloading the PTFs that fix those problems. It is also used to
download a few other problems but it is not clear to me how the decision is
made to include other fixes.  You are correct that in the past they have
not included most hyper PTFs.  I suggest that they include all hyper PTFs
but I do not know if that will ever happen.  I was told that there are two
other ways to find about fixes.

1. There is a list of fixes at an AS/400 Technical Support web page at:
http://www.as400service.ibm.com

2. There is an  AS/400 Alert Offering that has a monthly charge fee.  You
can find out more from e-mail at  PTFNOT@VNET.IBM.COM or fax at
1-507-253-0424 or by writing to:

     IBM Corporation
     Attn. Bev Burak
     3605 Highway 52 North
     Department LAV 005-2
     Rochester, Minnesota 55901-7899

I am not trying to sell these, but felt they should be included in a
complete answer.

Ed Fishel

+---