Your confusion is between item type and inventory code. Item class is
merely a way for manufacturing to group like items together, say all items
made from stainless steel

Item Type = what type of item is it:

1. 0 (zero) = a phantom (too deep for this discussion)

2. 1 = assembly or sub-assembly that may be used in multiple finished
items, can be sold, and has a bill of material

3. 2 = fabricated (or finished) item ready for sale, and had a bill of
material and most likely a routing

4. 3 = a purchased raw material item (i.e., PVC pellets) which will appear
as a component on a bill of material, but can also be sold out of stock

5. 4 = a purchased component (i.e. electric motor) which will appear as a
component on a bill of material, but can also be sold out of stock.

6. 9 = user option, normally sparingly used, say to identify obsolete items

7. F = Feature, used only if you are using Features and Options

8. K = Kit

If you intend to any of the item types above 0 - 9 have their balance on
hand tracked AND appear on a bill of material they are usually coded as an
Inventory Code 1 (see below)

Inventory Code = how do you want to track and classify activity:

1. Code 1 = INVENTORY = If the item is an inventory item that you want to
track balance on hand for and want to use on a bill of material (requires a
balance record in the Item Warehouse ((sometimes called Item Balance))
record

2. Code 2 = MISCELLANEOUS If the item is a miscellaneous item (an item
Warehouse record is required if you intend to track balance on hand)

3. Code 3 = SERVICE If the item is a service item (an item Warehouse record
is required if you intend to track balance on hand)

4. Code 4 = UNSTOCKED If the item is not stocked (no Item Warehouse file
record allowed).

You should have available from the IT department a CD that has all the
detail manuals for each module in Acrobat Reader format.

Best Regards

Richard (Dick) Stover

Consulting Manager

Guide Technologies, LLC