Hello group,

We are struggling with the best way to implement some Lean principles in
a "that's the way we've always done it" culture.

We are XA Rel 7.7, Essentials, EPDM, ONE uncontrolled warehouse. Please
help me/us figure out the best way to allow inventory in multiple
places-especially the production floor-on a small subset of our items.

We have several parts that are finished goods and are also components of
other finished goods. We would like to start allowing those parts to be
placed on the production floor in areas for easy access while completing
MO's. This would eliminate the need to wait for the stockroom to count
out and issue the parts to the MO's (MO qty's are in the hundreds)-and
production could complete partials of the MO's faster. Storeroom
personnel are concerned with inventory accuracy, loss of parts, etc.

One scenario we realize is to add an additional warehouse. What would
this involve-ripple effects? More key punch for the storeroom/customer
service and shipping? Need more understanding here.

Making our warehouse controlled would allow us the additional locations
(correct?)-what would this involve?

Another option-and we think the best possible-could be to make the parts
uncontrolled floor stock. What would be the drawbacks here?

Again, very new (and exciting changes) for us. I'm sure several of you
all have already done this kind of thing and figured out how best to go
about this.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Teresa Biby