Jane,

I may be misunderstanding what you are trying to find out, but I'll try to help you. All I can tell you is how it impacted us at R6 and earlier, and how we used it. The RM put whatever quantity of the end item (FITEM) on hand, and reflected that transaction on the MOMAST record. If there were controlled floor stock items on the order (in MODATA), the appropriate qty per for the RM quantity was issued to those component items. The inventory transactions had no impact on the operations status for us. The first transaction of any sort on the order would move the ORDER status from 10 to 40 for us.

Since XA transactions were all costed at the time of the transaction (and that was a problem for us, as we would be sometimes building stuff that didn't have all the costing records accurate on early production runs), we did not use the MOMAST costing information. Instead, we did our own reporting, running through MODATA and costing each component at current cost, totaling the material costs for the order, and comparing it against the quantity received of the end item, again costed at current cost (breakout of labor/overhead and material costs - again, that was SPECIFIC to our accounting methodologies).

We processed the completion code "C" in the RM only to move the order from status 50 to 55 (it could go from 40 to 45, but our internal controls didn't allow that). In our case (and this was specific to us as a part of our business accounting), we NEVER processed the "C" in the RM along with a quantity. Our typical process was:

1. All RMs for the order would be completed, they were processed as the parts/items were completed.

2. All labor would be done - the order status would go to 50 (labor complete).

3. We ran a Status 50 report every day to show all the orders. Any variance (see the above special reporting) over $5 had to be researched unless the total order value was over $1000. Then the variance to be investigated was over $100. Again, specific to our accounting requirements. The checking usually consisted of making sure all the IPs were done as required, and any excess being justified. (Note: all orders with all the individual operations completed would automatically go to status 50.)

4. A separate RM with zero quantity and completion code of "C" would be processed to put the order at status "55". We had a special transaction entry screen for this.

5. A weekly status 55 report showing variances (again, see above for how we tracked variances) was run and filed (electronically, not paper).

This worked for us, because our product was 85% material, 15% labor, and labor was backed into out of our payroll system because we had an earned hour incentive system and the labor costs tracked in XA were garbage for us. As I mentioned in an earlier posting, this process worked well for us, because we processed 99% of our IM transactions through the PM&C data queues - almost NOTHING was keyed through the IM transaction entry screens (we didn't provide access to that screen except for a VERY limited number of people).

We also had a special "old status 40" report that ran daily that would show all orders at status 40 that had the full quantity for the order satisfied but were still at order status 40. That meant that somewhere, someone didn't log all the PC&C labor transaction through the system, so it wouldn't go to status 50.

I don't know if this helps you - this is specific to our accounting requirements. If you have specific questions that this doesn't answer, you can contact me offline.

Hope this helps! (BTW - this is past tense, because the company I worked for with this process no longer exists.)

Dale "Cork" Gindlesperger, CPIM
Senior Business Analyst