Nick,

This is what the knowledge base suggests:

Here is the solution: Activating Batch Lot control

Tracking inventory by batch/lot numbers is only possible in a controlled warehouse. To turn on batch/lot control for items in a controlled warehouse do the following:
1. Look at IM tailoring question I016 and make sure the environment is setup to handle batch/lot control. Change the IM tailoring question to allow batch lot control if it is set to N. This allows you to use the batch/lot control function.

2. In IM item master file maintenance, change the batch/lot control flag from 0 to 1 for all items to be batch/lot controlled.

3. In IM inquiry, option 8. Location Detail - By Item/Warehouse, look up these items and print screens showing all locations and quantities in each controlled warehouse. If there is nothing on hand for the item then there are no location quantity records for which you need to do assign batch/lot numbers.

4. In IM file maintenance, Location Control, option 2. Batch/Lot Numbers, enter the item number, warehouse, and location. When prompted, enter the batch/lot number that you want to assign to the quantity in that location. Do this for each location/quantity record for each item.
If you need to divide the quantity in one location into multiple batch lots, do the following:
a. Go to IM file maintenance, Location Control, Location Detail, Location Quantities and zero out the quantity in the location.
b. In the same menu option, add back quantities with batch/lot numbers, to total the original on-hand quantity for the location.
c. Run Location Quantity Audit -- verifies that the sum of location quantities in the SLQNTY file matches Item Balance on-hand qty.
This will ensure that any changes to quantities were done correctly.

Note:
For items whose batch/lot control flag has been turned on, inventory will be tracked by batch lot number. You will be required to enter a batch/lot number on all receipt transactions. Some issue transactions can use an existing batch lot number or may require you to specify one. If an item exists in one location with 20 different batch/lot numbers, one apiece, you will have to issue 20 IP transactions to issue the material to a manufacturing order, instead of one IP for 20 pieces.

See hyperlink for information on how to deactivate or turn off batch/lot control for an item

Here is the problem or goal:

Activating Batch Lot control

Changing to Batch lot control

Ramifications of activating batch lot control

Turn on batch/lot control

We are thinking of turning on Batch/Lot Control for a few selected
Material Items. That is the easy part.

I think all I have to do is write a program that will update SLQNTY with
the Batch/Lot Number of the items we turn on. We don't care about History
and that kind of stuff.

Does this sound right? Or, are there any other files that I might be
concerned about?