I must back what Jeff says - he nailed it. The shipping companies are NOT
ERP people, and frequently the installers are not familiar with Client
Access. However, both FedEx Ground and UPS will provide not only an ODBC
import of shipping information from your hosts, but also an ODBC export to
a database on the AS/400-iSeries-System-I (pick your IBM name of the week)
rather than just a flat file (although the flat file is an option).

What we did was tweak the COM Pick List (we always used our own anyway, we
didn't like XA's) generation to also output the required information to a
database with order#, shipment#, ship-to name/address/etc, PO#, and special
shipping instructions. Both FedEx G and UPS take the data and populate
their files as desired (you handle this with the ODBC mapping, they will
explain what THEIR fields are, they are about as meaningful as COM's
names). The information also goes up to UPS/FedEx's big systems in the sky
for tracking.

There are a number of differences between what XA needs and what they
provide. For example, both FedEx Ground and UPS will provide you with the
charge and weight per box and each boxes' tracking number, as well as any
box charges that are voided (if shipping messes up while processing a box).
You actually get MORE information than XA requires. We wanted the
additional data available for our customers, so we add all the additional
data as order comments.

Since we use COM_Net, all this information is available to our customers on
the web, and COM_Net provides the direct link to the shipper's tracking
systems. Our customers love it - and having all this data available has
drastically reduced the calls to our service call center.

In addition, this interface has reduced our shipping clerical workforce
from an in-season high of 4 people processing COM Pick-Pack-Ship to 1/2
person year around to process the shipments/billing. I can't go much
below that, SOMEONE has to deal with the OTR carriers and freight
companies.

Dale Gindlesperger
IT Manager/Special Projects Leader
Fleetwood Folding Trailers, Inc.
258 Beacon Street
Somerset, PA 15501

"Jeff Snyder"
<jeffreygsnyder@h
otmail.com> To
Sent by: mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
mapics-l-bounces@ cc
midrange.com
Subject
Re: [MAPICS-L] FedEx Integration
10/11/2007 09:03
PM

Please respond to
MAPICS ERP System
Discussion
<mapics-l@midrang
e.com>

Just a quick FYI : get someone involved who knows mapics and the
Iseries. This is not as seemless as UPS, or Fedex makes it sound.
They do not know mapics , but will suppy flat files to be populated,
download, and supply flat files back of charges, etc

You'll need to supply order info (via user exits upon create or change
or a CO) as a download to Fed ex (ODBC) and Upload their flat file and
write the interface to populate the spl chg record to the order before
invoicing. Works slick as HXXX once you get it. tracking #, etc.
Just takes some work and piloting.

If you'd like any help contact your affiliate or me offline.

Jeff Snyder, CPIM

Guide Technologies, LLC

jsnyder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This has been my experience.