Greg,

That was VERY interesting, and something that I have been considering doing
for a long time.  But what we do (to clean up the batches, and we DO
process IM batches for ticket processing for the non-barcoded stuff) is run
the normal MAPICS backup to disk, then later dump it to tape (I also use a
3570).

I use the MAPICS backup process to make sure everything is clean for a
restore.  And I do the restore a LOT - dumping my production environment
into my test environment regularly (frequently weekly, if we are in major
development mode).

The MAPICS backup-to-disk process, complete, takes me about 18 minutes.
And that includes a pre-MAPICS-backup job that cancels all MAPICS users
(there aren't any at 3am unless they went home without signing off), and
disables their user-IDs.  Then the user-IDs are re-enabled in the
post-MAPICS-backup process.

To streamline things, someone from IT (usually me) hooks in remotely every
night to check on things, and knock off the users that left themselves
logged in.  But if we skip a night, everything still works (usually).

BTW - we haven't done a MAPICS restore since the mid-1980's.....  S/36
MAPICS II days.  But I like my "warm-and-fuzzy-feeling" from following
MAPICS' procedures as much as possible.

Dale Gindlesperger
IT Manager/Special Projects Leader
Fleetwood Folding Trailers, Inc.
258 Beacon Street
Somerset, PA  15501

             "Greg Wenzloff"
             <GWenzloff@beckmf
             g.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  "MAPICS ERP System Discussion"
             mapics-l-bounces@         <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             midrange.com                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             07/27/2006 03:56          Re: [MAPICS-L] Programmatically
             PM                        closing inventory batches

             Please respond to
             MAPICS ERP System
                Discussion
             <mapics-l@midrang
                  e.com>

David,

I am using SAVLIB LIB(xxxxxx) SAVACT(*SYSDFN) which starts at 0200 hrs
and runs for about 35 minutes. The tape device is a 3570.
There are 14 libraries saved.   Only AMFLIBA is big.  It is 40 GB.
The first 13 libraries are run together then AMFLIBA is done by itself.

Good strategy?   I guess each company would have to decide that.  For us
it is good.   We only have about 50-70 users during daytime.   At night
much less.   At 0200 hrs often no one.

Greg