Hi Ann,

When I joined Tegal in 2001, we had a model 530 that was I believe in the P30
processor group. I had been warned that a hardware upgrade was too costly due
to the MAPICS licensing.

With my local IBM VAR, I was able to get a really great deal on a then new
AS/400 model 270 which was in the p10 processor group. Everyone of my software
vendors quoted me reduced rates except MAPICS. Our then affiliate explained
that we would have to go to a user based fee from our *nomax and that it would
potentially be an increase of double for our annual maintenance. I went into
heavy negotiations with them and eventually got a reduced MAPICS license fee
and stayed at *nomax; I think it was the final threat that we would migrate
from MAPICS to one of the other AS/400 ERP systems. We installed the smallest
AS/400 yet it was 3 times the processing power, twice the memory and twice the
DASD. We saved over $14,000 in annual maintenance from all of our software
vendors including MAPICS in the first year alone.

Last year we upgraded again to an iSeries model 520; once again tripling the
processor, doubling the memory and DASD (and reduced the footprint to a small
PC Server sized boxed - Scary). Our new Affiliate also warned that we might
need to go to a per user license and that it could potentially be an increase
in the annual fee. however, they were able to come back with no price increase
for the new licenses but a minor fee for migrating; something a number of the
other vendors also charged this time around although in total I think it came
to under $2,000 for all of our software.

We are running version 5.5 and will be looking to upgrade and I am sure the per
user fee issue will come up again. The thing I found interesting in both of our
discussions regarding these upgrades was that no one seemed to know what the
algorithm was to determine the annual license fee. They put numbers in to a
website and then received a quote from MAPICS that then needed to be negotiated
between the affiliate and MAPICS. Both times there were discussions abut how
the new machines could support more users because of the processing power. In
fact, the number of Tegal users is really pretty small; we have less than 30
MAPICS users. In my 30 years of I.T. experience, I have yet to migrate away
from a software vendor due to price; it has always been driven by functionality
or radical changes in business models. It will be interesting to see if that
continues to hold true as tegal looks to either upgrade from version 5.5 or
move to another package.

Regards,
Jon Le Roi
Director of Information Systems