Oct 6

As I responded earlier there is an add-on module to MAPICS, OTTO.  This module
provides the capability to identify not only the actions to be taken for the
new machine, but the impact this may have on existing machines in the backlog.
OTTO is based on the principles Reality Based Priority (RPM)management.  The
following is taken from an APICS article written by Dave Turbide on RPM.  The
context of this article addresses the topic under discussion.

?But the frequent replanning has caused a whole new set of problems. While
things might look better in the front office- there's an optimized plan in
place that's as fresh as the last inquiry-it's total chaos in the plant The
constant changes to plans and priorities whipsaw the production resources
causing frequent setups, rework, inefficiency, and quality problems.

As a result, many users of fast schedulers and advanced planning systems are
now restricting their use and only regenerating the plan once per day- back to
the batch thinking that we were trying to move beyond. Planning isn't really
the problem. We have a whole range of planning solutions to fit every need and
situation. The problem is on the execution side.

Revving up execution
Current planning logic provides a comprehensive list of what must happen in
order to complete customer orders on time, minimize inventory, and operate
efficiently. In an ideal situation, things will happen just as they are
planned-materials and components will arrive on time, there will be no
unexpected scrap or unusable parts, production activities will proceed as
expected, and customers will never change their orders after they're booked.

This whole concept of planning (and advanced planning), however, stops short of
providing much help on the execution side. Whatever the planning method or
frequency, the procurement and production departments are left with
instructions on what to do to support the overall plan-but not much in the way
of context. In other words, which specific actions will affect which specific
customer shipments? Plans are developed item by item. Tracing the impact of an
action or a change-such as a late receipt or quality problem-is problematic.
Starting at either the top (customer order) or the bottom {raw material) or
anywhere in between, tracing demand involves pegging through the bill of
material one level at a time and matching required quantities and dates to find
the next level (component or parent item). The deeper the bill of material and
the more products that use common components or assemblies, the more difficult
it is to sort it all out and get the required answers. Some materials
departments spend nearly all of their time slogging their way through this mass
of detailed data.

The information we need is already in the system somewhere and the problem is
trying to get it out when we need it. We should there- fore be looking for
tools to help access the information, rather than trying to change the
information itself. An advantage of this approach is that it works equally well
with traditional MRP as with the newer advanced planning systems.

A normal MRP report will show all items/orders to be released, expedited,
deferred, or cancelled. The planning process has correctly identified all the
actions needed to meet the requirements. All standard MRP reports and
inquiries, however, are item oriented. This is so because the entire MRP
process and logic are item oriented. There's nothing inherently wrong with
this, but it makes retrieval of all the information relative to a customer
order, for example, an arduous process.

Now, let's access this MRP information but bring it together according to the
customer order. Include all inventory, open orders, planned orders, and firm
planned orders that will support this customer's requirement, down through all
levels of the bill. Collect this information into a working file and provide
reports and inquiries that show all the recommended actions for any items or
orders no matter where they happen to fall within the product structure. I call
this approach reality-based priority management (RPM). The nice thing about RPM
software is that it can be written totally outside of the existing ERP system
and is therefore immune to system upgrades and version concerns unless there is
a change in the database structure.

This is not hard pegging, in which order identification is imbedded within each
demand, work order, and planned order. Hard pegging is highly restrictive- it
prevents flexibility-and is only useful in specialized situations such as
government contracting where the customer might actually own parts and work in
process (WIP). Since RPM pegging is accomplished completely outside the ERP
environment, the hard relationship links exist only for the benefit of the
reports and screens used to execute the plan. When the plan is regenerated, the
system has complete discretion to replan according to its own logic and the
supply-demand equation. Another RPM extraction and calculation readies the work
file for the next round of execution decisions.

Anticipation
The basis of the theory of constraints is to identify the constraining
resource, or bottleneck, and build your plan and control around that
bottleneck, maximizing overall throughput. The RPM information retrieval
approach borrows from this idea by focusing on the activities that are most
critical-the ones most likely to cause a delay. With its customer order
orientation, it becomes easy to see which activities pose the highest risk to
on-time completion of the customer order. Managers can use ~ this information
to pro-actively address these work orders, purchases, or resource issues. It
also makes it easy to identify which activities directly support customer
requirements and which are in " I the plan simply to replenish inventory or
meet safety stock requirements. While replenishment is an important objective,
it should always take a back seat to satisfying customer demands.

This new approach makes effective use of the data and information that already
exist within the enterprise system. It doesn't change or affect the existing
system in any way, and it's not a software modification that might affect
support costs. It gives managers an execution tool to greatly improve on- time
shipment performance and maximize the effective use of resources, applying them
where they can do the most good. "

Dave Turbide, CFPIM, CMfgE, CIRM, is an independent market analyst and
consultant with more than 25 years of experience helping companies select,
implement, and benefit from information management systems. He is the author of
six books including Why Systems Fail (Industrial Press, 1996), and was founder
and chief editor of Midrange ERP magazine. He can be reached via e-/nail at
Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mandis Inc.
410-526-5996
Mandis-Inc@xxxxxxx