Well, you said a "33" is "your worst nightmare"...  Are you referring to
the "33" (expedite scheduled receipt) or the "33" on the bottle of Rolling
Rock beer?  I don't know which is worse....  :)

They brew Rolling Rock about 30 miles from our plant....

Dale Gindlesperger
IT Manager/Special Projects Leader
Fleetwood Folding Trailers, Inc.
258 Beacon Street
Somerset, PA  15501

             Kevin Fox
             <kdfox@xxxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             mapics-l-bounces@                                          cc
             midrange.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Subject:    RE: Low level codes not
             12/20/2004 02:37          in sync
             PM

             Please respond to
             MAPICS ERP System
                Discussion
             <mapics-l@midrang
                  e.com>

Terry,

You are correct.

The theory goes like this.

Let's say that an item has a LLC of 4.  MRP will use this LLC to plan the
item in the proper order.  So for example, if the LLC for all items is 0 -
7, then MRP will start planning on LLC 7.  So LLC 4 will be planned after
7,6, and 5.

Now, let's suppose that a bill change causes the item's LLC to change from
LLC of 4 to an LLC of 7.  This will result in the item being planned near
the beginning of the MRP run so as to ensure the higher level items (lower
LLC's) will see the demand correctly.

One more change, suppose we now delete the item from the LLC 7 level
leaving only the LLC 4 level.  MAPICS does not change the LLC from 7 to 4.
So again, the MRP plan will plan the item near the beginning of the
planning run.

Normally, this does not cause an issue.  However, let's suppose that over
the course of a few months (or years!) we don't reorganize the file.  What
happens then?  Well we would end up with many items at level 7 that should
not be.  And depending upon the higher level relationships (i.e. does the
item appear in multiple bills at multiple LLC's?)  MRP may not calculate
all of the demand accurately which can lead to some problems.

Most of the time this problem will have a symptom... the dreaded "33".  For
those of you who do not know what the dreaded "33" is, let's just say that
as a planner it is your worse nightmare.  (BTW what you don't know can hurt
you and your career!)

Hope that helps.

Kevin Fox
'kdfox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
- - - - - -

Kevin

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't MRP use the low level code to
determine the
item planning order so that it will not miss a demand.  So if an item is at
the
wrong low level code, isn't possible the system could not plan an order for
an item.

Terry Moffitt
Mfg. Engineer
Altek Inc.