        From: LDegnon@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:LDegnon@xxxxxxxxx]
        Sent: Tue 3/23/2004 4:17 PM
        To: MAPICS ERP System Discussion
        Cc: LD'Anna@xxxxxxxxx
        Subject: RE: R7 advantages

        I wonder what the minimum requirements for AS/400 really are???  It
would
        seem that this is the main reason for the performance increase?  We are
        struggling with a 170/2290, and Browser performance with a 3 GHZ P.C.
with
        2GB RAM full duplex Switched 100Mb Ethernet is almost unbearably slow
        do most things.

        I'm sure that the first thing that we will be told is that we need to
        purchase a New AS/400 (and bigger$$$$ License) to go to Version 7...

        Lloyd H. Degnon
        I.S. Manager
        AmPro Computers, Inc.
        5215 Hellyer Ave.
        Building #110
        San Jose, CA 95138
        (408) 360-4365
        ldegnon@xxxxxxxxx
        www.AmPro.com

        "Robert Russell" <Robert.Russell@xxxxxxxxxx>
        Sent by: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
        03/23/2004 07:48 AM

        Please respond to
        MAPICS ERP System Discussion <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

        "MAPICS ERP System Discussion" <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc

        Subject
        RE: R7 advantages

        Steve,

        You are correct that all of the things in Phil's note require Browser.
He
        was responding to William's request for improvements in Browser and
        Integrator.

        As for PC size, I will tell you that we continue to do benchmarks using
        500 MHz PC.  Obviously bigger PCs will perform some of the tasks
faster.
        In our experience, the amount of PC memory affects performance more
than
        horsepower.  We recommend 256MBs of free memory.  So you are probably
        looking at PCs with a minimum of 512MBs.  However, Integrator on R6 is
        more CPU intensive (especially developer start-up).
        In R7 we have made significant improvements in that area.  Here is an
        example using actual customer data:

        Data Set
        298 User-created (new) Business Objects
        30 Modified Mapics Business Objects

        R6
        Machine: 2.5GHz (1GB RAM)
        Approx amount of raw Integrator data transferred: 5.0 MB
        Time to bring up Business Object List (all data from AS/400): 5:30
        Time to bring up Business Object List (all data cached in local Data
        directory): 3:15

        Machine: 800MHz (768MB RAM)
        Approx amount of raw Integrator data transferred: 5.0 MB
        Time to bring up Business Object List (all data from AS/400): 11:05
        Time to bring up Business Object List (all data cached in local Data
        directory): 6:00

        R7
        Machine: 2.5GHz (1GB RAM)
        Time to bring up Business Object List: 0:02

        Machine: 800MHz (768MB RAM)
        Time to bring up Business Object List: 0:03

        So to summerize, PC size will depend on what you determine as
acceptable.
        Also PC size is only a small part of performance.  Network bandwith and
        Host CPW also can play a major role.  Dave Colvin at MAPICS may be able
        help you evaluate your specific environment.

        Robert Russell, Paragon SI