I wonder what the minimum requirements for AS/400 really are???  It would
seem that this is the main reason for the performance increase?  We are
struggling with a 170/2290, and Browser performance with a 3 GHZ P.C. with
2GB RAM full duplex Switched 100Mb Ethernet is almost unbearably slow to
do most things.

I'm sure that the first thing that we will be told is that we need to
purchase a New AS/400 (and bigger$$$$ License) to go to Version 7...

Lloyd H. Degnon
I.S. Manager
AmPro Computers, Inc.
5215 Hellyer Ave.
Building #110
San Jose, CA 95138
(408) 360-4365
ldegnon@xxxxxxxxx
www.AmPro.com

"Robert Russell" <Robert.Russell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
03/23/2004 07:48 AM

Please respond to
MAPICS ERP System Discussion <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"MAPICS ERP System Discussion" <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: R7 advantages

Steve,

You are correct that all of the things in Phil's note require Browser.  He
was responding to William's request for improvements in Browser and
Integrator.

As for PC size, I will tell you that we continue to do benchmarks using a
500 MHz PC.  Obviously bigger PCs will perform some of the tasks faster.
In our experience, the amount of PC memory affects performance more than
horsepower.  We recommend 256MBs of free memory.  So you are probably
looking at PCs with a minimum of 512MBs.  However, Integrator on R6 is
more CPU intensive (especially developer start-up).
In R7 we have made significant improvements in that area.  Here is an
example using actual customer data:

Data Set
298 User-created (new) Business Objects
30 Modified Mapics Business Objects

R6
Machine: 2.5GHz (1GB RAM)
Approx amount of raw Integrator data transferred: 5.0 MB
Time to bring up Business Object List (all data from AS/400): 5:30
Time to bring up Business Object List (all data cached in local Data
directory): 3:15

Machine: 800MHz (768MB RAM)
Approx amount of raw Integrator data transferred: 5.0 MB
Time to bring up Business Object List (all data from AS/400): 11:05
Time to bring up Business Object List (all data cached in local Data
directory): 6:00

R7
Machine: 2.5GHz (1GB RAM)
Time to bring up Business Object List: 0:02

Machine: 800MHz (768MB RAM)
Time to bring up Business Object List: 0:03

So to summerize, PC size will depend on what you determine as acceptable.
Also PC size is only a small part of performance.  Network bandwith and
Host CPW also can play a major role.  Dave Colvin at MAPICS may be able to
help you evaluate your specific environment.

Robert Russell, Paragon SI