WOW!!  Some good stuff in there!!!!

Who says MAPICS isn't very forthcoming?  Oh, wait, I think that was me! ;)

I just might forget RPG altogether! ----> DB table generation - define the
table in the Integrator....

Phil,
But from the user's side....how about right-click copy/paste? I read twice
and did not see this.

"Phil Joseph" <Phil.Joseph@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
03/22/2004 01:19 PM
Please respond to
MAPICS ERP System Discussion <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

<mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Move from Rel6 to Rel7

All, last Friday this note came into this forum:
We are currently on Rel6.  What if any are the advantages of going to
Rel7.   We are interested in any improvements that have been made to the
Browser / Integrator.
One reason to go to R7 is the new enhancements. Another is web access. A
third is platform flexibility. I hope readers of this forum find the
following details helpful.
New user productivity features include the following:
Quick Change - easy way to change data you see in a list view
Graph Cards - Show a graph, and be able to drill down to supporting data
Presentation schemes - subset data in a view using color. For example,
make all the orders over a certain value have a certain color.
Logical field tip text - place your cursor over a logical field to see
how it was calculated
Power Expand - open all the branches of an overview in one click.
Workspace - have multiple icons for the same object, with different
preferences. For example, have one Items icon for manufactured parts and
another for purchased parts.
Subset tip text - place your cursor over the subset name to see how it
was defined
Compound Card - put more data on the same card: attributes, graphs,
lists
Open action - what happens when you double-click a record? In R6 it
gives you inquiry. In R7 you define it: maintenance mode,
navigate...whatever
Change template - Now the next department can have templates to add data
instead of just create data.
Auto key generation - Let the system tell you the next available number.
Mass delete - Delete an entire subset, or highlight multiple records and
delete them.
Code file delete/copy - R6 would not allow this. R7 does.
Security on local print - Lock this feature to control who can use local
print.
Security on export - Lock this feature to control who can export data.

In addition, we have these in-process for delivery later this year:
Multi-attribute add to definition - Ever want to select a bunch of
attributes to put on a view?
Subset by current user - Let's you subset by "current user" without
saying who that is. The system knows.
Subset lock in workspace - Ever want to have all subsets include a
certain criteria automatically?
New attribute classes: URL, e-mail address, user ID. - This enables the
system to be more integrated with the web and e-mail.
Field actions - Put a button next to a field to calculate a value from a
program you've written.
Program actions: parameters can include current user or task token. Also
support mass actions and URL option. - Mass actions means you can
perform the program action on multiple records at once. URL option means
you can have easier integration with the web.

If you have Integrator, you will see these enhancements:
User exit program generator - automatic maintenance for secondary
objects. (Yea!!!)
Multi-key code files - Code files can be based on combinations, like
country/state or department/team. No limit on the number of keys.
Multi-key find actions - Look up an object based on multiple keys, like
Item Warehouse does (i.e., Item and Warehouse).
New edit - range of data
New defaults - system will generate the code to put in default value so
will automatically show up regardless of templates
Export by object - export one, a few or all objects. No longer have to
export *everything* (but you still can if you want).
Dynamic object create - Many steps automated: synchronize with host, key
fields, one-to-one relationships, code file values...
"Unlimited" objects - There is technically 10,000 object limit....
Remove All by object - More control over wiping out unwanted objects.
Remove Pending by object - Do a partial "undo"
New attribute types - iSeries date, time and timestamp. Also hex
attribute type, in case anyone wants it.
User Preference  Administration - set up preferences for other users.
Mass maintain them, even.
Content security improvements - lock and unlock tasks from the client
Field security improvements - allow some users partial access while
restricting others from viewing
Maintain object locking - an Integrator object can be maintained by only
one user at a time

We have these in-process for Integrator, for delivery later this year:
Attachment count - show whether an object has an attachment or not
Wizards for adding a secondary extension and a text extension - just
makes it easier
DB table generation - define the table in the Integrator and have the
iSeries create it
Auto key mask - add intelligence to the automatic key field generator
Logical transactions - Makes it easier to administer security for
actions
Logical field tip text - Let users see how a user logical field was
calculated

We also have a new product called Enterprise Integrator, which has the
following features today:
Multi-client - Net-Link and System-Link will recognize Integrator
objects
Enhanced edits - Create warnings and status messages, or override a
MAPICS warning
Enhanced defaults - Let the current date, time or user be a default
value

Enterprise Integrator will have more features later this year:

Multi-database - create Integrator objects over Microsoft Access or SQL
Server tables, or other iSeries files.
Multi-owner - export objects to another system and retain ownership.
You will also see additional application functions start rolling out
this year, such as CSM enhancements and AM+ maintenance.

One reason many companies are eager for R7 is the web access it
provides. This comes in two flavors:
1.               Net-Link - this puts the MAPICS Browser in a web browser.
Get
access to it from anywhere. Do inquiry and basic maintenance. With
Enterprise Integrator can also see the objects you created.
2.               System-Link - create web pages to display your business
data on
your web site. Includes objects created with Enterprise Integrator.
System-Link also gives you the ability to write your own custom programs
to a standard interface. Imagine a very flexible version of offline load
in XML. It is available for all client objects, even the ones you create
with Enterprise Integrator. This interface is designed to be stable
across releases, which means your effort and risk to advance from
release to release can be reduced dramatically. For some companies, this
could be huge.
Another benefit of R7 is platform flexibility. You can offload
processing from your primary iSeries to auxiliary machines. This gives
you options for load balancing at least. Depending on your
configuration, it may also provide a performance boost. (Note: the
database and transactions - the heart of the system, if you will - are
handled by the iSeries.)
Feel free to address questions in a reply to this note. I'll do my best
to respond within a day or so.

Phil Joseph
Paragon Systems, International
(678) 319-8040