This is actual code from program AMBQGDFR.  Notice field WUZ0NB.

OK define the field.  Nothing unusual here.....

 * Define work field &Chr
C                   MOVEL     *BLANK        WUZ0NB            1

Now blank out the field.... Must you tell the program to move blanks 4
times? Actually if you look farther down it blanks out WUZ0NB a few more
times.  I really wish IBM would disipline the compiler so we only had to
tell it to do things one time :-)

                   MOVEL     *BLANK        WUAAGX
                   MOVEL     *BLANK        WUZ0NB
                   MOVEL     *BLANK        WUZ0NB
                   MOVEL     *BLANK        WUZ0NB
                   MOVEL     *BLANK        WUZ0NB
                   MOVEL     *BLANK        WUCOCD
                   MOVEL     *BLANK        WUDXCD
                   MOVEL     *BLANK        WUZ0NB
                   MOVEL     *BLANK        WUZ0NB
                   MOVEL     'Y2U0005'     W0RTN
                   GOTO      OGEXIT
                   ENDIF

 Now what are they trying to do?  OH wait maybe MAPICS is getting into the
hardware business & are making sure everyone has to buy a really big
computer..

 C                   MOVEL     ALCQTX        WUZ0NB
 C                   MOVEL     ALCRTX        WUZ0NB
 C                   MOVEL     ALCSTX        WUZ0NB
 C                   MOVEL     ALCDTX        WUZ0NB

The field WUZ0NB is on 205 lines of code in this program.

I have seen the execute a subroutine that only has a BEGSR and a ENDSR
statement in it, but this takes the prize!!!

This is not the only field they do this with either in this program.  I
think we now have a better understanding why COM is so resource intense.

Hope everyone gets as good of a laugh from this as we did....

Steve Jones