ODBC and other methods that require 'managed' object access can be a real
hassle
if you build it around specific users.  You would have to manually
add/remove people
and then trying to provide access while people are on the system can be
difficult.

What I suggest you do is create a couple of *restricted* accounts, each
dedicated
to a specific file(s) in MAPICS.
for example an account called:          itemacct        to access item
type objects
                                puracct         to access purchasing files
                                restacct                to access
restricted data such as empmas, payroll, etc.

These accounts in turn can be used by more than one person using PC based
programs
accessing files via ODBC.  The advantage is that is not tailored to the
individual.

Also, if your plan is to change data, think very heavily about having your
PC programs
pass some token to identify who made the change, since accounts are
shared!  You
can make use of users fields in MAPICS for this practice.

It is very important that you not assign a menu option for these accounts,
in other words
if someone were to sign into AS/400 they would have very significant
restrictions.
Also ensure these accounts don't find their way into MAPICS as user
accounts,
it could impact your licensing.

Remember that when an program fails, some applications allow a debug mode
that
shows code including hardcoded passwords - Access for example.

Example of AS/400 account:

Initial program to call  . . . .   *NONE
  Library  . . . . . . . . . . .
Initial menu . . . . . . . . . .   MAIN
  Library  . . . . . . . . . . .     *LIBL
Limit capabilities . . . . . . .   *YES
Special authority  . . . . . . .   *NONE
Group profile  . . . . . . . . .   *NONE
Owner  . . . . . . . . . . . . .   *USRPRF
Group authority  . . . . . . . .   *NONE

ODBC considerations - giving access to files.
Typically when no users are logged into MAPICS)

First edit auth on file lib:  (How can you get to file if Library is
closed?)

 EDTOBJAUT OBJ(QSYS/AMFLIBA) OBJTYPE(*LIB)
change it using F6 & F11 to add ADDACCTNAMEHERE with READ and EXECUTE
abilities.
NO OTHER!

Then edit the object auth on files in the lib:
EDTOBJAUT OBJ(AMFLIB/POCOMT) OBJTYPE(*FILE)
change it using F6 & F11 to add ADDACCTNAMEHERE with OPR, READ, and
EXECUTE.
NO OTHER!

I hope this helps, I'm not an authority on security (or anything else!) so
please exercise
a cautious approach.

Best of luck!

BTW: If you are attempting use ODBC for SQL execution over multiple files,
I believe
in many cases SQL only uses the default library, regardless of how many
other libraries
you place in the library list box of the ODBC screen.

"hrishikesh kotwal" <hdkotwal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: mapics-l-bounces+leleux=shur-lok.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
06/06/2003 07:09 AM
Please respond to
MAPICS ERP System Discussion <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

MAPICS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Authority to Mapics Files from PC programs

   Hi all:

   We have started developing many PC programs that access Mapics Files
via
   ODBC & SQL. The users who use these PC programs are also Mapics Users.
   Therefore, they already have atleast 'Read' access to Popular Mapics
   files. But when the same users are trying to access the files from PC
   programs, they get the following error message:

   *** START ***

   General SQL error.

   [IBM][Client Access Express ODBC Driver [32-bit][DB2/400 SQL]SQL0551 -
Not
   authorized to object ITEMASA in AMFLIBQ type *FILE.

   ***END***

   How to deal with this problem?

   Thanks in advance.

   Regards,