From: Ron Hankey/PEMSTAR Inc [mailto:Ron.Hankey@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 3:11 PM
To: mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Joan.McCready@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: CFINT01 (the interactive governor)

The CFINT jobs are not related to disk usage, they are related to the
interactive workload.
Sounds like you are running an AS/400 model where only a certain
percentage of the CPU
can be used for an interactive (5250 datastream) workload. Fortunately,
with the new models,
IBM has dropped the interactive restriction.
Having a high disk utilization can affect your performance but will not
cause CFINT to use
more CPU cycles. For more information on CFINT see informational APAR
II10762.
Depending on your DASD threshold setting, having high disk utilization can
also
stop SNADS/Mail distributions.

When you see CFINT using a significant percent of the CPU, this is a good
indication you
are approaching the interactive capacity of your system. I see this
sometimes on our system
when a user just closes a MAPICS session without signing off the system
first. Ending the job takes
care of the problem. Sometimes it's just too much interactive workload. We
recently changed
our IFM options to run updates in batch, previously they were running
interactively.

When you see CFINT using a significant amount of CPU try looking for the
following:
1) Interactive jobs that are having problems (WRKACTJOB SBS(QINTER), put
your cursor on CPU %
       and press F16 to sort or WRKSYSACT if you have the performance
tools, ).
2) People running queries interactively
3) Programmers constantly running interactive compiles

Longer term solutions:
1) Switch to the new iSeries models (if your company can afford it or you
need to upgrade)
2) Change jobs that run interactively to run in batch
3) Move away from "green screen" (5250 datastream) programs to the MAPICS
browser,
        client/server or a true web based method
4) Turn off the ability of users to run queries interactively

Ron Hankey - CPIM
Applications Programmer