sorry, did not see this until this morning, see below.

Jeff Snyder,  CPIM
Mapics Consultant

From: "Nandagopal Padmanabhan" <npadmanabhan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Reply-To: MAPICS ERP System Discussion <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "MAPICS ERP System Discussion" <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: RE: Inventory Turnover Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 18:10:22 -0700

Hello Jeff,
I didn't have a chance to work on my inventory turnover report for a week. I'm working on it right now. I looked at the ITEMBL file and it has many fields which look like the ytd sales and mtd sales. Could you tell me which field I need to use?

For instance, QTSMO and QTYYR seem to have the same data!! So what is the difference between these two fields? Why do you think MAPICS carries the same data in both fields? Am I looking at the wrong field?
QTSMO Quantity sold this period
QTSYR Quantity sold year-to-date

Assuming that QTSMO is the field I have to use, I can setup a query which will return all items for which QTSMO is greater than zero. I can than multiply QTSMO with the item's average cost. Essentially, this will give me COS.

This is what I plan on doing for my average inventory value:
Current total inventory value = total sum of [on-hand for each item * average unit cost] for all warehouses put together.

I can then plug the above data into:
Turn (this month) = COS * 12 (annualize) / Current total inventory value
This seems right to me,  i'd run a test and get mgm approval.

QTSMO is the MTD field, id use. If the YTD is = to MTD, then one of two things are happening, either you are not running I/M month end close or you are clearing both MTD and YTD fields each time you run month end. Id check to be sure the MTD field is just for the current month.

when running I/M period/yr end close there are two questions that control clearing fields:

per or yr end?

and is this the last report ? Y- will clear the above fields. A 'N' will Not.

Also, are you sure about using 'ave' cost ? is that what you are tailored for in I/M... is the cost being averaged correctly? If using std cost, check with either the STDUC - itembl or UCDEF - itemas - A
Good Luck

Jeff

We are primarily a sales and service organization. So I'm wondering if the above approach will satisfy the needs of our management needs. Our inventory manager said that he wants to have a 'feel' for the inventory turnover reports that can be setup in MAPICS. Am I going in the right direction? I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,
Nandu