You described (very well) the "book" methhod of tracking outside operations
using PC&C. Bob Tenny has a point, too, in that you really need the PO to
handle the payment and accounting for the cost of the service. The PO
alone, however (without the MO) doesn't reflect the costs accurately in PDM
cost roll-up or help you in planning. You're also right that there's a lot
of transactions involved, especially in the separate warehouse scenario.

Without a separate warehouse, the transactions should be IP planned issue
of the unprocessed items to the MO, possibly an operation transaction in
PCC to show that the items have shipped to the vendor, another PCC
operation charge to show them coming back, then the RM to close the MO and
received the processed items to stock. Note that the unprocessed item and
the processed item have different item numbers so you can tell them apart.
The PO should be for the service, not the item, because the PO receipt
would double count the quantity (with the RM). You can use a misc item or
service item on the PO that requires no receipt transaction.

You can write a QUERY to track the items outstanding at service providers.
Look for the outside operation in MOROUT according to status (that's why
you want to do the first PCC transaction when you ship it out). If there is
more than one service provider, you can set up separate work centers for each.

Hope this helps.

Dave Turbide
dave@daveturbide.com
www.daveturbide.com