From: Dave Turbide [mailto:dave@daveturbide.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 4:24 PM
To: mapics-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Item Master Item Types

Bonnie -

Pete is right - type "9" is the safest. Types 1 and 2 are considered
manufactured and 3 & 4 are purchased - the system will restrict maintenance
of the cost fields accordingly. Type 9 is "user defined" and costing allows
more manual entries (both material and labor/overhead). Be aware that cost
roll-up will be affected if you don't change it to the proper item type
before doing a roll-up. MRP keys off the M or P in Item Balance so planning
is not a problem if you change item types later.

If you go this route, I suggest you create a query to check for type 9s
that haven't been re-defined and run it every day or two to make sure the
definition process gets completed for every item.

Dave Turbide
dave@daveturbide.com