Hi Connie Webb:

> "...invoicing for the core puts money on the books..."

and

> "BOTTOM LINE - Overstating sales until credit is issued for returned > core."

Actually using the accrual basis of accounting, invoicing a customer "does not
create any money" on the books.  It creates a receivable, which must be paid by
the customer first to generate any cash for the company.

Next, my suggestion for handling the cores is to bill the customer for the core
but instead of recording 'Core" sales, credit a balance sheet liability account
called something like "Unrecognized Core Billings."

Then when the customer returns the core, you write a journal entry (or run it
thru the purchase journal; there are various options here) to set the returned
core up in inventory and relieve the liability account for the contra amount.

As a result, there really isn't any "overstated sales" at all because a sale
for the core was never recorded using the above procedures.

> "Any innovative suggestions to control business requirement with these
> conditions:"

My suggestions aren't really innovative, just regular accrual basis accounting
rules and procedures.

If you have any additional questions, please post it thru the Mapics ML.

Regards....

------Your 8/7/01 Original ML Message------

------End of Your Original ML Message------

--
Above message before copy enclosure (if any) was sent by:

Al Gershen
Grants Pass, OR 97526
aldg@mail.rvi.net
& ICQ # 12342782