/----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions
/----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. What data fields need to be populated in order for MPSP to produce a
master schedule?
2. Are the Production Planning and Resource Planning options required
steps?
3. Do the questionnaires for Forecasting or MRP need to be reanswered?

/-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/
Comments:  I worked with MPSP like three years ago and I was involved in the
implementation along with a fantastic group of multi-talented people back in the
beautiful town of Coamo (Puerto Rico).  (You should go there, if you've never
been there)
Our production was driven by what we called "Management Load Lines" or product
families.  We define those families and group the finished goods accordingly
(like a BOM).  This data is then loaded in MPSP.

In terms of the Production Planning and Resource Planning setup, that really
depends on how your business operates and what the organization wants to handle
this little "monster" but generally speaking, the ITMPLN is the main file:
/-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

a) Demand Time Fence (DTFD)
Use this field to define the number of days you want MPSP to use as a frozen
planning zone in the master production schedule for this item. The system uses
this number to calculate the Demand Time Fence Date for the item.

b) Master Schedule Item Code (MSIC)
Use this field to indicate whether an item is a master scheduled item or a
production family. The default value is blank. The possible codes are:
? blank?not a master scheduled item. MPSP does not plan this item.

? M?Master scheduled item. MPSP plans orders for this item based on the demand
source you specify in the MPS PLANNING SOURCE field. The system ignores any
requirements generated or entered for the item in MRP.

? P?Production family. This item is a production family. You can assign end
items to this family for item production planning and for reviewing related
items in family sequence. If the master scheduled item code is P, the only valid
item type code is 0 (phantom).

c) MPS planning source code (MSSR)
Use this code to indicate the kind of independent demand you want MPSP to use
for generating the master production schedule for this item. There is no default
value. The available codes are:

blank - Not used in MPS planning
B - Blended demand (the greater of forecasts or customer orders/expected
customer orders for the period)
C - Customer orders/expected customer orders only
D - Blended demand, planned orders created for each customer order
E - Forecasts ignored, planned orders created for each customer order
F - Forecasts only
M - Manually entered firm planned orders
P - Item production plan

If the master scheduled item code is M, you must enter a code in this field.

Price Break Conversion Factor (PBCF)
Use this field from Material Requirements Planning to define a critical resource
in a unit other than the stocking unit of measure or to define a critical
resource that is actually a group of related items with different units of
measure. You can use this conversion factor to reduce the number of critical
resources you must define to determine resource needs for a material that comes
in different shapes and sizes.

Production Family Planner (PFPL)
Use this field to define the identifier for the person responsible for planning
the replenishment strategy for the production families.

Resource Number (RSNO)
Use this field to show the unique number MPSP uses to identify this item as a
critical resource. This is the number you assigned to this item when you defined
it as a critical resource in the Resource Master file. The default value is
blank.

Resource Profile Build Code (RSBF)
Use this field to indicate whether an item or a production family can have a
resource profile generated. The default value is N. The available codes are:

Y Generate profile
N Do not generate profile

Production Facility file: WRKCTR
Labor Resource Number (LABRN) .Use this field to identify the labor hours in a
work center as a critical resource. This is the number you assigned to this
critical labor resource when you defined it in the Resource Master file. If you
do not enter a number, the system does not process the work center as a critical
labor resource.

Machine Resource Number (MACRN) .
Use this field to identify the machine hours in a work center as a critical
resource. This is the number you assigned to this critical machine resource when
you defined it in the Resource Master file. If you do not enter a number, the
system does not process the work center as a critical machine resource.

/----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/
Note #2: Learn how to use the Demand Interface File
/----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/
The Demand Interface file is a holding or catcher file that enables MPSP to
receive forecast information for master       scheduled items. It also enables
MPSP to receive customer order information (customer backlog) when Customer
Order Management (COM) is not installed and interfacing.  Look for the manual
for more detailed instructions.

I cannot remember a lot of good details at this level, I'll need to refresh my
mind but at the first look, that is what I can remember so far.  Please anybody
bring more data to this issue.  Maybe you have all this data already; if that
the case, that is a start.

Good luck!
Peter Vidal

                    "Doug Morrison"

                    <dmorrison@simond        To:     "Mapics Mail List
(E-mail)"
                    s.cc>                    <MAPICS-L@midrange.com>

                    Sent by:                 cc:

                    owner-mapics-l@mi        Subject:     MPSP

                    drange.com

                    07/06/01 10:10 AM

                    Please respond to

                    MAPICS-L

I am new to MAPICS and have been assigned the task of implementing MPSP
in a MAPICS 4.0 environment.  I have already installed the module and
answered the questionnaire.  I have worked with MPSP in the past in a
BPCS environment so I understand the concepts of MPSP.  My questions
are:

What data fields need to be populated in order for MPSP to produce a
master schedule?

Are the Production Planning and Resource Planning options required
steps?

Do the questionnaires for Forecasting or MRP need to be reanswered?

Thanks for any input you have.

Doug Morrison

+---
daveshaw@bellsouth.net