hi José,

i am not certain if i am running X as i am a real beginner. But i don-t
think i am running anyone of the other names... Forgive me my ignorance

There's always help for you *if* you want to learn.

If you're in a GUI, you're almost certainly running X. Almost all GUIs that run under Linux are designed to run on X.

However, what i am running is a program GUI called tn5250 that i run from a
launcher like Writer.

Create a new launcher and have it run a command like this:

xt5250 hostname.example.com

(replace 'hostname.example.com' with the hostname of your IBM i system)
That should give you a window with a sign-on screen, though it might be very small.

You should be able to shift-right-click the window to pick different font sizes. Try changing it to HUGE and see if that's easier to read.

If that's not big enough, or you want the font to be permanently set to a particular size of a particular font, then you can control the font info with the font_80 and font_132 keywords.

There's a description of how to do all of this and much more in James Rich's HOWTO which you'll find here:
http://www.chowhouse.com/~james/tn5250-HOWTO.pdf