As I test, I did the following:

a) Opened up /usr/local/share/tn5250/XTerm

b) Added the following lines to the bottom:

xt5250.VT100*font: 10x20
xt5250.VT100*font1: -sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-170-100-100-c-120-iso8859-1
xt5250.VT100*font6: -adobe-courier-bold-o-normal--8-80-75-75-m-50-iso8859-1

(forgive me if those lines get wrapped by the e-mail client... there should be 3 lines, and each should begin with "xt5250.VT100".)

c) Save changes and exit.

d) Run xt5250.

The default font is now 10x20.

When I use ctrl-right-click and select "unreadable" it uses the "sondy fixed medium" font (which is actually pretty big, and certainly not unreadable!) When I select "huge" from that same menu, it now displays the "adobe courier" font (which is neither huge not particularly readable!)

I just picked those fonts at random for testing. You can, of coruse, use any font you have installed. The "font" setting corresponds to the default font, and the "font1 - font6" settings correspond to the 6 other choices on the ctrl-right-click menu.

Good luck