Actually, ./configure in x5250 has always failed for me. I have to add a PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable to tell it where the tn5250.pc file is. I just run the following:

$ PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/src/tn5250/ ./configure

It doesn't work in FreeBSD either, since FreeBSD's directory is /usr/local/libdata, but tn5250.pc gets installed into /usr/local/lib.
So, I'm quite used to adding /usr/local/lib into PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

I still get the same result, though.

 > FTP RMTSYS(BACKUP)
   Data sent to device SPORTER1 not valid.  Device response code 10030101.
 ? C
   Data-stream error 10030101 reported for screen I/O operation.
   Error occurred during screen I/O operation.
   Signal SIGABRT raised (abnormal termination).
   Internal error detected in File Transfer Protocol program.
   Error(s) occurred during running of QsnCrtSsn API.

I get this if I have +enhanced in my tn5250rc. I don't get it when not in enhanced mode. Since enhanced is only half written and breaks a lot of things, I never turn it on.

Of course, I rarely run x5250 anymore because it's so buggy. It always seems to do something wrong when I need it to work most. Typeahead has never worked in x5250. I can never get SysRq to work (I'm not sure if that's because I can never remember the key sequence or what). I have problems with x5250 getting out of sync with the iSeries, so that x5250 thinks it's waiting for the iSeries, and the iSeries thinks it's waiting for x5250... I have problems with x5250 just locking up when using certain keys in certain places... it sits and scans for the next field and never fnds it and goes into an endless loop.

It astonishes me that people are trying to use the enhanced features which are documented to be only half-written, when the basic features of it are so unstable and not ready for general use.

Some day when I'm not so busy (if that ever happens again?) I'll take the time to troubleshoot and fix all of the problems in x5250 -- or maybe even write my own that I like better -- but in the meantime, I find it easier to just use Windows.