Jack Woehr wrote:
$ tn5250 trace=log.txt netshare400.com

Empty log.

It looks like the trace file is mostly for network traffic, so I guess that's to be expected.

Among other stuff, got a lot of these:

32762 ktrace   RET   execve -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
32762 ktrace   RET   execve -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
32762 ktrace   RET   execve -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
32762 ktrace   RET   execve -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
32762 ktrace   RET   execve -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
32762 ktrace   RET   execve -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
32762 tn5250   RET   readlink -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
32762 tn5250   RET   open -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
32762 tn5250   RET   open -1 errno 2 No such file or directory

I'd hoped that ktrace might include the values of the paremeters as strings, like strace, not just the addresses, but I see that's not the case. A number of these errors are to be expected; the ones from ktrace will be as it tries to start tn5250 in each directory on your PATH, and tn5250 does the same looking for tn5250rc and termcap or terminfo files.

I've been able to compile and run tn5250 from CVS without any problems on Mac OS X 10.3, which is the closest I can get to OpenBSD at the moment.

For myself, at this stage I'd start running tn5250 under gdb (../libtool gdb tn5250 from the tn5250/src/ directory) to find out where it's failing, or add some calls to puts() to see how far it gets in main() before bailing out. Sorry I can't help much more than that.