With regards to 0.17.3, I come up with some a few asm errors:

cursesterm.c:828: inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'

This is on the same system and running the same cross-compiling commands as 0.16.5.

Yes, The embedded system has curses support and does not run any part of the X11 server.

Thanks,

Brian