On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Scott Klement wrote:

Now I'm wondering, what is x5250 missing that tn5250 does?  I would really
like to get release 0.5 out that is feature complete with tn5250 0.16.4.

Do you mean 0.16.5? (Why would you be trying to be compatible with an old release of TN5250?)

Were any new features added to 0.16.5? I picked 0.16.4 because that was the latest when I started working on x5250 in earnest. I just wanted to avoid a moving target.

Right now the only thing that comes to mind is key remapping which I'm
saving until after x5250 0.5.

Yeah, that has to be done in the windows version as well. We really should try to sync-up x5250 and the windows version. It'll confuse people if the two behave significantly differently. When someone thinks of a piece of software having "X11" and "Windows" and "Console" support, they expect it to work pretty much the same way in all three of those versions.

We should identify which features work differently and figure out how to
make them (at least from teh user's perspective) work the same way.

I have some ideas about how I want to approach key mapping. I also am working on a macro interface that should be nice. I certainly agree that x5250 and the windows tn5250 should be similar, but I don't think I want to start coding cross platform widgets. gtk5250 is probably better for that. x5250 doesn't even use a widget toolkit (that's why the menu is so spartan looking).

But perhaps more urgent is getting more 5250 features into lib5250. I need to work on my enhanced patch more. Many of the things I want to do with x5250 1.0 depend on lib5250 fully supporting all of the 5250 protocol.

James Rich

It's not the software that's free; it's you.
        - billyskank on Groklaw