You have to use cvs.sourceforge.net instead of
cvs.tn5250.sourceforge.net... then it works.

For example:

setenv CVSROOT :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/tn5250
cvs login
Password: <Enter>
rm -rf tn5250
cvs co tn5250

You need to delete your old CVS checkout, because otherwise it'll remember
that it came from "cvs.tn5250.sourceforge.net", and "cvs update" won't
work.