Hi James,

> Only one reason:  consistency with most of the other software on my
> system.  Actually, I do use tn5250_config_parse_argv() but not until
> after I've extracted command line options that start with a dash.
> getopt_long_only() removes options that start with a dash and passes the
> rest of the command line unchanged.  Then I call
> tn5250_config_parse_argv() to get the 5250 specific stuff.  Most X apps
> expect to be able to specify things like -geometry or -name, things that
> tn5250_config_parse_argv() doesn't understand.  The only dash options that
> tn5250_config_parse_argv() does understand are -version, -ruler,
> -underscores, and -ssl_verify_server.  -version I handle (as well as
> --version for consistency).  -underscores is irrelevant to x5250.  -ruler
> will be handled (as well as --ruler).

There are a number of other options as well.  I'd hate to think that it's
necessary to hard-code all of the ones that will have to be handled
specially.

Though, I suppose you could specify   ruler=0 instead of -ruler.  It would
do the same thing (with the current implementation)

> I think from glibc.  You could try replacing getopt_long_only() with
> getopt_long() and see if that compiles.  If not, I'll need to investigate
> further.  If getopt_long() doesn't work, then getopt() will but may need
> some more changes (specifically the options[] array will not be used).

getopt_long() does work, but it's NetBSD's implementation, not GNU's.
There's a listing of the differences between them on the following page:

   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=getopt_long

> btw - there is a new and improved version available (version 0.1.0) at:
> http://www.chowhouse.com/~james/x5250

That's the one I grabbed.

Now that I've gotten it to compile, I see that you're overriding lib5250's
keyboard handling?   If I type a key in a field that's supposed to be
uppercase-only, it shows up as lowercase then converts to uppercase when I
hit enter.

I can type letters in numeric fields -- although it stops me after the
first letter...   then error reset doesn't work, you have to hit Ctrl-R
instead of error reset -- and then it doesn't clear the message line, so
you have to just know that pressing ctrl-r worked, despite that error
reset didn't. :)

Can I ask why you rewrote that section of display.c/dbuffer.c instead of
using the tried-and-true code?  Why reinvent the wheel?!   If there was
something lacking in lib5250, why not help improve it instead of replacing
it?

I also see that you're using the GPL.  The GPL is incompatible with
OpenSSL, so the rest of TN5250 uses the LGPL.  If you use GPL, we won't be
able to distribute x5250 together with lib5250 -- just a warning.