I also like to thank Scott Klement for his support and technical advise to
configure our  Suse Linux machine.
I would also like to thank James Rich for helping me to configure the tn5250
with ssl to connect to As/400 using Suse 8.2.
I am posting the following steps that helped us to connect to As/400 using
SSL..

         Tn5250 with ssl to connect to As/400

        *       Install Suse Linux 8.2 accept all the defaults
        *       Go to yast tools and search for gnome
        *       Install everything you find
        *       Install the ssl-devel
        *       Download the tn5250-0.17.tar.gz from the www.sourceforce.com or
some other website.
        *       Go to a shell prompt and change to that directory where the
files was downloaded
        *       Type gunzip tn5250-0.17.tar.gz
        *       Type tar -xvf tn5250-0.17.tar
        *       This command will extract the files and create a new directory
called tn5250
        *       Change to this directory tn5250
        *       Run the command ./autogen.sh
        *       It will say something like
        Configure.in: ./install
        Configure.in: ./missing
        *       This is fine
        *       Then run the command ./configure -with-ssl
        *       Then run the command make
        *       Then run the command make install
        *       Type cd and hit enter
        *       Type this command mkdir ~/XXX
        *       Copy the certificate file named XXXX.cert to XXX directory
                                (we get the certificate by going to <http://ip>
address of the as/400:2001
                        Click on digital certificate manager
                        Click on install certificate on your pc on the left
hand side
                        Click on copy and paste the certificate
                        Coy the entire certificate including the begin and end
certificate line and save it as XXXX.cert)
        *       Open the file named tn5250rc with a text editor on the floppy,
if unable to copy then please type the following lines in a text editor and
save it as .tn5250rc
        XXX {
                host = ssl:ip address of As/400
                env.TERM = IBM-5292-2
                env.DEVNAME = YYY
                +ssl_verify_server
                ssl_ca_file = /root/XXX/XXXX.cert
        }

        *       Change the env.DEVNAME= TO WHATEVER(THIS IS THE WORKSTATION
NAME IN AS/400)
        *       Then do save as and rename it to .tn5250rc and save it to the
home directory
        *       Go to your shell and run the command tn5250 XXX
        *       This will bring up the session
        *       Printing:
        *       Create a default printer on linux using the yast tools
        *       Add the following line in .tn5250rc
                +local_print_key
        This will allow you to send the print screens to the local printer.

thank you,
Sonal