On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, James Rich wrote:

> > 2)      On our as400 system, they use function keys beyond F10.  For
> > example, for a particular application on the as400, F12 is exit.  How do
> > I define F12 as exit?  What I found is that if an invalid key [function
> > key] is pressed, the tn5250 session hangs.
>
> Are you running tn5250 from the console?  If so, I think you need to use
> the loadkeys command to set up the keymap correctly.  Before running
> tn5250 type 'loadkeys us5250.map'.  If you are using the xt5250 script
> to start tn5250 in X, then all the function keys should be set up
> correctly for you already.

Check out the README file in the freebsd directory of the tn5250 distro.

("loadkeys" is a Linux command.)  In FreeBSD you want to run the 5250keys
script that's included with TN5250.   This only works from the console,
not from X11.   If you're in X, you should be running xt5250 instead of
tn5250.   Keep in mind that when you remap the keyboard on the console,
it changes all vty's, not just the one that tn5250 is in...

For both X11 and console:

If you installed TN5250 from a package or port, it doesn't automatically
add the 5250 terminal definitions to your termcap file.   Therefore, you
need to do it manually.   There should be a file called sample.termcap
in /usr/local/share/tn5250 which contains the definitions, you just need
to add them to your system-wide termcap file.

That's only necessary if you used the package/port to install it.  If you
simply did a ./configure, make, make install from our tarball, it would've
installed that termcap for you.

> > 3)      Finally, how do I define some global parameters?  In your
> > documentation you refer to the system-wide configuration  file being
> > $PREFIX/etc/tn5250rc.  However, I am unable to find any subdirectory
> > named $PREFIX, either by itself or within /etc.  Is it something I
> > missed during compilation?  Do I need to re-compile?

In Unix, the "$" character means that it's a variable.   FreeBSD sets
$PREFIX to /usr/local....  thus your global config file will be
/usr/local/etc/tn5250rc

Good Luck...