Scott Klement wrote:
With a lot of the features we're having requests for, it seems to make
more sense to concentrate on gtk5250 rather than xt5250.   The enhanced
5250 support is one obvious place (how do we do a scrollbar in text?)
the keyboard mapping is another big one, copy & paste is another, and
then of course there's this question about positioning the cursor via
mouse clicks...

If gtk5250 had all of xt5250's features, and was included in the main
distro, I think it'd be the TN5250e terminal of choice for Unix users.
What do you think?

It looks like from other people's posts that the console mode tn5250 still gets some important use. Anyone who uses xt5250 could just as well use gtk5250 unless they have some serious memory constraints. So here is what I think (since you asked for it):

1. Of the enhanced features, we should try and make cursor positioning and continuous fields work correctly for the console and xt5250.

2. Other than those two, all other efforts should focus on gtk5250. key mapping enhancements, the rest of the enhanced features, copy and paste, anything mouse related, etc. should be done in gtk5250. Especially when you consider that gtk apps can run on windows.

I'll start using gtk5250 more and see what I can do if anything. If nothing else I can add documentation about it to the HOWTO. At least then people would hear more about it and it might get some more testing/development.

James Rich