Scott Klement wrote:

Mouse support in curses is available (see:  man curs_mouse)  but it's a
bit ugly when running inside of an xterm, because the xterm processes the
mouse events, but apparently has some way of communicating them to the
application that's under it, as well.

I haven't had a chance to do complete research on this since I was (at
that time) looking at copy/paste capabilities in xt5250, and decided that
there'd be no way to determine if input was coming from the keyboard or
the clipboard, so I figured it was a waste of time.

With a lot of the features we're having requests for, it seems to make
more sense to concentrate on gtk5250 rather than xt5250.   The enhanced
5250 support is one obvious place (how do we do a scrollbar in text?)
the keyboard mapping is another big one, copy & paste is another, and
then of course there's this question about positioning the cursor via
mouse clicks...

If gtk5250 had all of xt5250's features, and was included in the main
distro, I think it'd be the TN5250e terminal of choice for Unix users.
What do you think?

For me, at least currently (and the forseeable future), the console tn5250 is more important...thus X cut-n-paste is not so important as cursor positioning.
Having a better keymapping method than the linux console keymap would be excellent!

The only GUI feature that I think would be nice would be scaled-font resizing...since the terminal is always 80x24 or 132x27.

Is enhanced tn5250 available on the "real" text-mode terminals? If so, perhaps they should be the basis? I'm guessing it's not though...

--
Alex Mauer
Network Administrator

"First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn
numbers into letters with ASCII -- and we thought it was a typewriter.
Then we discovered graphics, and we thought it was a television. With
the World Wide Web, we've realized it's a brochure." - Douglas Adams