The problem is that the software in RPG (bus ticket) does this operation
(END / START writer)  other applications from printing to it, it's really
a stupid operation but the vendors of the software said that they can not
change that.

Every printing is working fine, the only program that don't work is that
one that prints the bus ticket, using that stupid end/start writer operation.

The same operation is working using client access.

Luis Otavio Da Ros Ribas

----

To try to understand your predicament, I did the following:

    1) Started up lp5250d on my FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE system.
     2) Logged on to the AS/400
     3) Ended the print writer with: ENDWTR PRT01 *IMMED
     3) Re-started the print writer with: STRPRTWTR PRT01
     4) Sent a report to the printer.
     5) The report printed correctly.

You say "Aparently AS/400 x lp5250d can't do Start / End Writer
 correctly." Why do you say that? From my test, above, it appears
 to work correctly. What are you expecting it to do differently?

Do you have the same problem when you print from FreeBSD directly? Or
 only when you use lp5250d?

What's the reason for stopping & starting the writer in the first place?
 I've never heard of someone doing this. Are you trying to prevent other
 applications from printing to it?

In addition to using lp5250d, you could also consider using the normal
 FreeBSD lpd to receive spooled files from your AS/400. It doesn't have
 as many options as lp5250d does, but it might be one way to avoid using
 Windows.

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 loribas@zipmail.com.br wrote:

 > I am using FreeBSD with a minimal install for use only as terminals to
 > our AS/400. I have installed TN5250 and it works great, but I'm having
 > some problems with the lp5250d server.
 >
 > We use a system to sell bus tickets that need to have the writer (printer)
 > "ended" to work. The printing operations works like that: Start writer
/
 > send report / End writer.
 > Aparently AS/400 x lp5250d can't do Start / End Writer correctly. This
is
 > the only report that can not be printed... (Probably because this Start/End
 > operation)...
 >
 > Any sugestion ? I just can not get used to the idea of using M$ Windows
 > / Client Access again... :-)
 >
 > Thanks in advance for the help.
 >
 > Luis Otavio Da Ros Ribas
 > IT Manager
 > Sulamericana Transportes Ltda
 > Curitiba - Parana - Brazil

Use o melhor sistema de busca da Internet
Radar UOL - http://www.radaruol.com.br