Please forgive me, I'm not familiar with how Chinese characters work in
5250.

Does Chinese require DBCS?  If so, that may be the problem.   The emulator
right now does not do DBCS.  At least, I believe that the ideographic
shift-in and shift-out characters have something to do with DBCS, and I
know that we're ignoring those. :)

I also see that we don't have any Chinese maps in transmaps.

So, it seems that we don't (yet) support Chinese in TN5250.  If you're
willing to write the code to add it, I'd be happy to add it to future
distributions.

Lp5250d uses the same character mapping support that tn5250 does.
However, you may be able to get it working by using Host Print
Transform, since in that case all of the character translation, etc, is
done by the AS/400 and sent as "transparent data" to the printer.

Good Luck!