Actually, there is a PTF that enables it all the way back to V4R4M0.  I had
trouble with my Telnet-SSL until I remembered I had turned it on!

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/tcpip/telnet/ssl.htm

V4R4 5769-SS1 - PTF SF61406 V4R5 5769-SS1 - PTF SF61427

To enable (lock out users without client certificate): CALL PGM(QSYS/QTVSRV)
PARM(*SSLCERT)
To disable (allow users without client certificate): CALL PGM(QSYS/QTVSRV)
PARM(*NOSSLCERT)

I'd love to help test, but it will be a bit tricky to coordinate since I
have real users currently using Client Access over the Internet with SSL.
(Sadly, Client Access does not seem to support client certificates.  At
least it didn't work for me...)

We are at V4R4, planning to go to V5R1 RSN.