thx for your enlightment master ;)

Pedro Mullor

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Klement" <klemscot@klements.com>
To: "linux 5250" <linux5250@midrange.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2001 7:43 AM
Subject: Re: [LINUX5250] special printers config

> The "lp5250d" daemon that's part of the Linux Tn5250 software (which is
> what this mailing list is for) sends it's output in raw SCS format to
> a pipe.   You can configure what the pipe is opened to.
>
> Typically, you'd set the command up like:
>
>        outputcommand
> which means the output from the tn5250 printer session will be piped to
> the scs2ascii program, which translates from SCS format to ASCII format.
> Then, scs2ascii pipes it to lpr, which sends it to the Unix spooler
>
> However, you could just as easily chnge it to:
>         outputcommand
> so that it went directly to the parallel port....  or to a program if
> you had one that should receive th data... or to a file if you like...
> it's flexible.
>
> As far as lpr/lpd goes (And this is NOT part of the Tn5250 suite, but
> it a part of Linux or FreeBSD or whatever you're using) It spools the
> data, and sends it to the printer.  If you WANT the data to be
> transformed, you can define a script or program for it to call,
> but otherwise it leaves it alone.  It's quite the opposite of the
> Windows model.
>

> On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Pedro Mullor wrote:
>
> > hello everybody
> >
> > i'd just like to know a few things printer sessions-related
> >
> > my question is if the data goes right from the tn5250 printer session to
the printer of if they have to pass through lpr.
> > I know that there is no problem with a normal printer session but we
once tried to config a win3.11 to print to a Zebra printer (for labels) and
all i got is a Dali's picture from the output; never tried with one of our
Printronix (matricial). All beacuse the data passes via the win3.11 printer
manager (and there's no such drivers for that system).
> > So, with a DOS system it's different because the drivers used come from
a .dat file that the CA session reads for output.
> > And, as long as there'll be no support for SNA we want to pass our old
DOS-SNA machines to TCP/IP and NT's Not The_solution so i wondered if a
thing like that could be done with tn5250 just before laying hands on the
config.