The "lp5250d" daemon that's part of the Linux Tn5250 software (which is
what this mailing list is for) sends it's output in raw SCS format to
a pipe.   You can configure what the pipe is opened to.

Typically, you'd set the command up like:

       outputcommandÒscs2ascii | lpr"

which means the output from the tn5250 printer session will be piped to
the scs2ascii program, which translates from SCS format to ASCII format.
Then, scs2ascii pipes it to lpr, which sends it to the Unix spooler

However, you could just as easily chnge it to:
        outputcommandÒscs2ascii>/dev/lpt0"

so that it went directly to the parallel port....  or to a program if
you had one that should receive th data... or to a file if you like...
it's flexible.

As far as lpr/lpd goes (And this is NOT part of the Tn5250 suite, but
it a part of Linux or FreeBSD or whatever you're using) It spools the
data, and sends it to the printer.  If you WANT the data to be
transformed, you can define a script or program for it to call,
but otherwise it leaves it alone.  It's quite the opposite of the
Windows model.