On Tuesday 14 August 2001 20:49, tonyl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone used tn5250 & linux to replace dumb terminals, specifically for
> the sort of user that enters data all day, every day?

Hi,

we use tn5250 at a customers site where we migrated a bunch of dumb
terminals and old PCs to Thin-Clients based on LINUX. Every TC runs
X with KDE. Currently about 15 of 100 user use tn5250. The others
still use CA for Windows via a Windows Terminal Server.
When it comes to enter a lot of data the users prefer tn5250. Especially
that users wich were very fast with text terminals like the tn5250. So
actually after solving some problems we are moving all users which
don't use special features from CA to tn5250.

We did not encounter any serious problem with launching tn5250 in X - if the
host is available and everything else is set up corrrectly tn5250 connects
every time.
The keyboard mapping was quite difficult, because the users wanted some
settings which differ far from standard-mappings. But with the appropriate
changes in the config files nearly all keys work the way the users want.
Another problem where the color-settings. Some users (actually that ones which
where aleready used to Client Access) wanted some different background and
foreground colors. We did not find any config files to change this colors
so we had to change the source-code. BTW it would be a great idea to
make the colors customizeable via the config files. ;-)
We do not have any experience with the 132 column display.

So after all erveryone who tested it is happy with tn5250. And after the
test with about 15 users we are going to replace CA for nearly all users.

--
Alfred Schr"oder <schroeder@gonicus.de>
*GONICUS GmbH * Moehnestrasse 11-17 * D-59755 Arnsberg