  • Subject: Very importand (feature) - please read
  • From: Patrick Bielen <bielen@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:30:43 +0200

Hello,

Well to begin i want to congratulate the programmers of the tn5250-software
with their great work... the program is becomming more and more stable and
user-friendly, and contains some very nice features (screen mapping 127*32).

But there are three things i miss, and they are ....

1. Key-macros as in Client Access for windows.
2. file transfer from or to an AS/400 as in CA for Win.
3. the possibility to connect (mount) to share-folders (windows-folders)
   This one is maybe not possible with tn5250 (because of SNA) ?

Now i go some more in details....

1. This feature I really really need. Because i've setted up an SuSE 7.2-box
   with tn5250 installed to connect to the AS/400. But because our export-
   department does a lot of booking a day they want to have the key-macro
   feature included in tn5250. Normally i think that is not to difficult
   because even our dumb terminals have that feature to record and
   playback key-strokes to automaticly fill in data in their sessions. If this
   is not possible they want me to install Windows and CA again, and
   believe me, personally that is the last thing i want to do.
   And the only thing that must happen is recording key-presses and
   playback them as soon as you need them, making use of the
   ALT-key in combination with a character or Function-key.
   If this is not possible with tn5250 then my question is if this is
   possible with some perl-script or even key-macro's you can
   create with KDE ??? I think that must be possible ?

2. The reason for this feature is that we make a lot of queries with
   our AS/400 and them import them to the pc (excel or staroffice)
   to distribute them (databases) to our customers.
   I think a lot of people are searching for such an option ?

3. the reason why i want to be able to mount such an AS/400 shared
   directory is because all our windows-clients use such an dir at the
   AS/400 to store their data (very handy because the AS/400 is
   backupped every night, and because all data is stored at the AS/400
   they are backupped every night to).

As of point 3 i can report the next problems and things i've done at the
moment....

If i run 'smbclient -L as400' i get the next output.

Sharename       Type    Comment
---------       ----            -------
QIBM            Disk      IBM Product Directories
ADMIN$          Disk      AS400 Resource
DOCUMENTEN  Disk      Documenten op de AS
HOME            Disk      Gebruikersdirectories  (this is what its all about)
IBMLAN$         Disk      AS400 Resource
IPC$            IPC       AS400 Resource
WORD            Disk      Word Koppeling PC

Server               Comment
---------               -------

Workgroup       Master
---------            -------

As you can see HOME is our shared user-dirs at the AS/400

So i made a /as400_home at my linux box.

then when i do

'mount -t smbfs -o username=myname,password=mypassword //as400/home
/as400_home'

mount reports no errors and returns to the prompt, so i think the
mount is working correctly, and this is what 'mount' reports.

/dev/hda7 on / type ext2 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
/dev/hda5 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
shmfs on /dev/shm type shm (rw)
/proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
//as400/home on /as400_home type smbfs (0)

Well seems that the mount did its job, but (0) is not quite good i think.
So if i after the mount do a 'ls /as400_home' i get the next error...

ls: /as400_home: No such file or directory

well the mount worked, but the dir is unavailable ?
This is really frustrating, because if i want to reach my shared dir
at the AS/400 i always have to use the ftp-command to reach it,
and believe me... that are a lot of key-presses to reach it.
here is an example....

ftp as400
insert name
insert password
cd /home/beheer
bin (to be able to transfer binairy)
mget or mput <files>
quit or exit

i suppose this must be going easier than this ?

Does anybody has any suggestions ?

And please forgive me if those topics are not related to the tn5250-program
itself, but i asked the same question at the newsgroup linux and networking
but nobody gave me a good answer or tip or trick or whatever :-)
Even some people told me that /as400_home had to exist for the mount to
work :-))))))))))) and that was the first thing i did before i tried the mount
command anyway.

Well guys.... i hope this is a very good topic to talk about.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Greetings

P. Bielen
Sysop Stafa Holland bv