  • Subject: thinknic
  • From: Moravia <sporter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 18:59:54 -0500

I've started modifying the filesystem from the iso image at
thinknic.com.  I may try to burn a CD tonight or tomorrow to see how it
goes.

I'm thinking that the best way to do it is to either merge all data from
/etc/flashupgrade.tar to /etc/flash.tar and create a new
/etc/flashupgrade.tar OR just add my new info to /etc/flashupgrade.tar.
Either way, for the scripts alreay present to process my files, I think
I need to increase the version number on the CD.

I added the binary for xterm and the library that was not already on the
cd.  I added my tn5250 binary, the XTerm file (actually, everything from
/usr/local/share/tn5250/).

I'm a little stuck on where to put the .tn5250rc though.  I'm guessing
I can add it to the flashupgrade.tar in the web subdirectory.

When running xt5250 without parms, a dialog is displayed asking for host
or IP.  I know from testing that I can enter a name from my .tn5250rc
and it will work.  Does it pick up any settings if I haven't specified a
hostname in .tn5250rc?  (Meaning I always want a particular display
type, but someone else's AS/400 is going to have a different
IP address.  I could hardcode mine, but there should be a better way.)

Is there existing software to maintain the .tn5250rc file?  Perhaps that
could be added to the cd since the file will be on flash.

I've been browsing the cd all day and think this might work.  Just
looking for some insight to do it a "better" way than what I'll come up
with.  (I'm a "make it work" person and don't think in perspective of
"do it right")

I'll post my results as I get them.