  • Subject: Re: 5250 & 3270 together?
  • From: wsuetholz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 14:40:01 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,
  I don't know if it is an implementation issue or not,  I have seen
this kind of behavior with CISCO terminal servers, as well as others.
I also don't know if the same thing happens with tn3270e protocol, when
the LU you are requesting isn't available.  Since I haven't implemented
that yet.

  My tn3270 implementation does not currently process ASCII messages,
esp. since I wait for certain negotiations to be done before I will accept
any messages, and this message occurs before all the parameters are
set..  Because my situation is for a voice response platform, there isn't
a person setting at the screen, it's all for screen scraping.  And, because
of that, I have to delay enough at open time, so the program doesn't think
that it has a blank screen to start out with, and tries to send data to
the host before all the telnet negotiations have been done.

  Anyhow, a tn3270 implementation has to allow for ASCII data to be displayed
before it get's any 3270 datastream, and (I think) during the processing
there is a way to switch back to ASCII mode.  Historically there were ASCII
menu systems in front of the hosts that you would access with the 3270 emulator
and then switch over to 3270 mode for talking to the host.  Anyways, thats what
I recall.  Never having had to use that type of connection I could be
mistaken :-)

Bill Suetholz