  • Subject: Re: asdbget issues.
  • From: "Jason M. Felice" <jasonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:27:52 -0500

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 08:48:25AM -0000, Woodcock, Steve wrote:
> Brock
>
> I had the same problems. I can't remember what I did about the first. I
> think you need to compile it with tn5250 as well but,
> I'm not sure...
>
> I think the second problem is caused by the record length of dspffd *outfile
> on your 400 being different than the value used in get_ffd_data() -- see the
> line that goes:
>
>   get_file("QTEMP/FIELDS", 605, get_ffd_data_cb);
>
> The record lengths for our 400s are as follows:
>   V4R1: 596
>   V3R7: 596
>   V3R2: 591

I'd like to compile a database of the record lengths *and structures* of
the output of DSPFFD.  If you could send me a converted-to-ascii DSPFFD
of the output of DSPFFD
for each of the systems (possibly using lp5250 or older tn5250 with printing
support to print file - or maybe using another tool like CA), I'd appreciate
it.  This should resolve the remaing problems with asdbget.  I plan to add
a config file describing different formats of DSPFFD for different AS/400
revisions so that it shouldn't be too difficult to add a new config if your
system isn't found.

Anybody having a different system version/revision who wishes to send the
above information will earn many brownie points for future support issues
(at least from me ;-).

There also might be odd systems; for example, a heavily PTF'd V3R2 might have
a different record length.  I hope not, but I intend to provide a mechanism
for specifying a different format per host if necessary.

The record length issues are resolved in CVS, as there is a record-based FTP
transfer method where the end of each record is explicitly marked - it even
works for variable length records.

> Hope this helps
>
> Steve

-Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice